Hands up who's guilty of making a pledge to 'give back more', 'pass it on', 'make a contribution to society' etc. etc., but then doing absolute diddly-squat about it? It's not because we don't want to take time to fundraise, it's just because...well there is always something that gets in the way. 'I'm too busy, I'll vow to do something next month'...next month becomes next year and a new, New Year's resolution.
We found out the top reasons that motivate people to fundraise:
- Wanting to support a particular charity or cause close to their heart
- They are inspired by a person, whether it be a friend or family member, celebrity or leader, which drives them to fundraise
- To feel good and help make a difference to others
- To take part in an event and set a personal challenge whilst raising money for a cause in the process
Any of these sound good? What if there were fun, creative and easy ways to fundraise that didn't impact your time and work/life routine? Well we've been asking around and doing some research to put together a great hit list of ways you can get involved and finally accomplish one of your life to-dos.
Something for Everyone
1. Bad Dress Day: Get people to come to work or school in bad dress. Think 70's jumpsuits or bold print shirts with mismatching trousers. Or denim-on-denim...on-denim! Charge those who take part $1 and those who don't pay a fine(!) of $2.
2. Cake Sale: Easy to organise, everybody can get involved whether you're baking or sampling, plus who doesn't love cake? They make for a great social occasion that usually raises a surprising amount of money.
3. Host a gig or small festival: This will take a bit more planning but the rewards will be well-worth the effort. Think festival vibe in a pub garden with local bands, hay bales and kegs of beer. Donate proceeds from ticket sales and sell commemorative awareness charity silicone wristbands/merch to raise extra cash.
4. Auction: One's trove is another man's treasure, so grab that box of random stuff clogging up your cupboard, ask your colleagues to do the same and voilà! You have a charity auction.
5. Hair-raising fundraising: Always secretly fancied rocking the Sinead O'Connor look? Now you have the perfect reason! Be bold and Brave the Shave to support men, women and children with cancer. It's easy to get involved, pick a date and ask loved ones to sponsor you.
6. Clubbercise class: Hire a sports hall or studio and set up a morning rave. Try a theme such as 90's club classics complete with smiley t-shirts, rave glow sticks and UV wristbands.
7. Host a Vinyl Night: People bring their favourite track on vinyl and play it ramped and amped up on a turntable. Great for rekindling old memories and by selling tickets/food you can donate all proceeds to your charity of choice.
8. Work it at the Car Wash: Take a boring chore and turn it into a fun fundraising event. Use social media to advertise the event to your friends and local businesses, set up at your work car park or anywhere you can get permission for with access to water, and away you go. Make sure to get some volunteers involved who aren't afraid of getting wet (because they will!)
9. Swear jar: Stick a box at home or in the office and every time someone drops a swear bomb they have to put £1 in there. Easy money!
10. Come Dine with Me: Gather a group of friends and charge a set menu fee at each other's houses for a different course of a meal. If you're feeling extra competitive, you can score after each course and the loser has to donate more.
You don't have to give up a huge chunk of your time to organise a charity fundraiser. Even small-scale events can make a big impact if you spread the word and get friends and family on-board.
Its undeniable that giving back feels good and can be especially positive in a workplace. It gives people an opportunity to engage, bond and work together towards a shared, meaningful goal.
These are just 10 of our top picks for charity fundraising ideas but we'd love to hear yours. Share here and we will pick our favourite.
Whatever your charity fundraising event, ensure you are creating awareness by custom designing your wristbands using our online wristband design tool.